Once again I participated in the Turkey Trot in Dallas on Thanksgiving. Here are a few photos celebrating the fun event. Check out my specially-crafted turkey day hat!
I want this Thanksgiving to be as meaningful as possible and I’m sure you do too.
To ensure this, I noted 12 ideas, some I’ve done and others I plan to do, that extend this holiday beyond turkey and dressing.
Will you join with me to embrace this Thanksgiving’s purpose by contributing in the following ways to our global society? Please share what happens and Happy Thanksgiving!
1. Read a book to a child.
Why? Because it expands the child’s world and yours too.
2. Gift a Maya Angelou cookbook.
Why? She knows how to cook
3. Go visit someone in a nursing home or rehabilitation center.
Why? Because they may not have family nearby to visit them.
4. Partner with 9 people to create goodie bags and distribute to 10 underemployed, unemployed people and/or entrepreneurs.
Why? Because it shows you care and you get it.
5. Remember the business introduction you promised so-n-so back in the winter? Well, go ahead and follow through before it turns icy again.
Why? Relationships are everything.
6. Clothes Giveaway Day. Send an email to friends and family that you are giving away the clothes not being worn in the back of your closet.
Why? Someone else can use them.
7. Sponsor someone’s registration for a webinar you know they would like.
Why? What goes around comes around.
8. Save your aluminum cans for a month and take them to the recycling center.
Why? It’s good for the environment.
9. Support Small Business Saturday November 26.
Why? It stimulates our economy and you’ll probably make new friends.
10. Pay for someone to join an organization you know they would like.
Why? Dare I say it again—relationships are everything.
11. Support the Wikipedia Foundation.
Why? It makes us smarter.
12. Create a fun card to share using your iPad and other digital devices.
Why? It spreads cheer and puts your creativity to good use.
Regina L. Burns, M.A., Project+, is an award-winning multimedia journalist and editor specializing in Black History and African American stories at Harvest Reapers Communications. Her work has been published in Texas Highways magazine, WFAA-TV, The Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram as well as The Commercial Appeal, the Tri-State Defender and The Flyer, among others.